Plastic surgery has grown in both acceptance and popularity in recent years, as both men and women are tuning into the many advantages procedures such as a facelift can offer. Now, a number of non-invasive procedures have appeared on the scene, promising similar results to surgical procedures with less discomfort and downtime. While non-surgical options may seem attractive, they aren’t right for everyone. Here is how to know if surgery or a non-invasive procedure will meet your needs best.
The Surgical Facelift
The surgical facelift has been around for decades, but it has evolved considerably to avoid the “windswept” appearance of techniques past. Today’s lift combines both skin firming with repositioning of underlying muscles and tissue to create a natural, firmer facial profile with significantly fewer lines and facial creases. This procedure can also be customized to the unique needs of each patient, with less invasive options for those that need less age reversal.
There are a number of benefits to the surgical facelift:
- Ability to transform the mid and lower face in a single procedure
- Provides dramatic results to even severe aging signs
- Long-lasting results that persist 5-10 years without a touch-up procedure
There are also drawbacks to a surgical facelift that should be considered:
- Requires anesthesia, incisions and a recovery period afterward
- Risks associated with surgery include infection, poor wound healing
- Results cannot be altered if they do not meet patient’s expectations
Non-Surgical Options In Facelifts
Non-surgical options to facelifts abound today, from injectable treatments to skin tightening procedures using state-of-the-art ultrasound technology. At New York Group for Plastic Surgery, we offer the following options:
Neuromodulators – These injectables work by relaxing the facial muscles that lead to the formation of some types of wrinkles. Treatment areas include the forehead, between the eyebrows and the outer corners of the eyes.
Dermal Fillers – This type of injectable treatment smooths away fine lines and wrinkles from the inside out, while restoring youthful volume to areas like the cheeks, lips and jawline.
Kybella – One of the newer injectable treatments on the market, this formulation dissolves submental fat underneath the chin to eliminate the double chin look.
Ultherapy – A non-surgical method of skin tightening that uses ultrasound technology to strengthen the foundation of collagen fibers beneath the skin’s surface without causing trauma to the outer dermal layers.
There are advantages to opting for non-surgical methods of anti-aging:
- Procedures can be performed quickly, often over a lunch hour
- Some procedures can be reversed if patient doesn’t like the results
- There is little discomfort associated with these procedures and no downtime
Drawbacks of non-surgical procedures include:
- Temporary results that must be repeated to maintain results>/li>
- Procedures primarily work on early signs of aging
- Will not provide the dramatic, long-lasting results of surgical procedures
Making the Choice
When you are making the choice between surgical and non-surgical anti-aging procedures, there are a number of factors to consider. One of the most important is the amount of aging your skin has endured. Those with significant skin laxity and very deep creases may simply not see satisfactory results from any treatment other than surgery. On the other hand, those that undergo treatment for early signs of aging may be able to postpone the need for more invasive surgical procedures for much longer.
Our surgeons will discuss your concerns and aesthetic goals with you in detail to determine the best procedure for your specific needs.
Talk more about your products here.
Tell prospective clients more about your company and the services you offer here. Replace this image with one more fitting to your business.
Schedule a consultation
Book your procedure and FREE consultation here.